Friday, January 25, 2013

Cabbage Bag Affair

http://davidsonfamilyarchives.blogspot.com.au


William Davidson 1805 - 1837


"Cabbage Bag Affair"

Most friends of the Gardens are aware of the appointment by Governor Arthur of William Davidson as the first Superintendent of the Gardens in 1828.  Not so well known are the circumstances under which Davidson left the Gardens in 1834.  

Firstly though, just a few points to keep perspective of dates between 1828 and 1834:
10 December 1831 William Davidson received 1280 acres Land Grant with boundaries Upper Davey Street, adjourning Elboden Street and Garden Cres, South Hobart.
1832/1833 Davidson built a stone house on the above allotment.
Early September 1834 "Cabbage Bag Affair" first discovered.
September 1834 William Davidson dismissed as Superintendent of the Gardens.
26 November 1834 Indenture signed for Property Title Cnr Davey/Elboden/Garden Cres, Sth Hobart.


Below are statements from various "witnesses" from early September 1834 re "Cabbage Bag Affair"

1. Statement by Captain Forster & James Hyland 3 September 1834
(Extract from the Principal Superintendent Reenes -3 September 1834)

Daniel Turner of Strathfieldsay, Government Gardens
Charged on the Oath of Captain Forster with gross prevarication before the Lieutenant Governor on Saturday last – plea guilty.

Captain Forster sworn states on Saturday last the Lieutenant Governor desiring me to ride with him I went to the Government Garden with His Excellency when near the garden we met a man carrying a sack nearly half full over his shoulder, he was asked to where he was taking the sack – he said to Mr. Petrie, and he said what he had got inside the sack was from the garden, he was ordered to turn back, and when near the Domain gate he was desired to empty the sack, which he did, and which proved to be vegetable of different sorts, upon further ensuring the man stated he had brought up from the Commissariat some tea, sugar, and tobacco for Mr. Davidson with a note from Mr. Petrie, that he had brought such things about a month before also from Mr. Petrie to Mr. Davidson.  Mr. Davidson was sent for and questioned by the Lieutenant Governor in my hearing and in the presence of the man who was carrying the sack.  Mr. Davidson denied this frequently as also having ordered any vegetables for Mr. Petrie’s.  David Turner the Prisoner was then sent for he also denied any note having been sent into Mr. Davidson’s house by John Hyland, or his having seen any, a Constable was then sent for the woman servant at Mr. Davidson’s to know if any note had been sent, the reply brought from the woman was that there had been, upon hearing these words the prisoner acknowledged that a note had been sent in and that the reason for his having denied it was that he was afraid of Mr. Davidson, I then sent him down a prisoner.

The prisoner here states that when Hyland brought the sack up he gave it to me and directed me to give it to Mr. Davidson.  I went in the house and found Mr. Davidson lying on the sofa and gave his the note.  Mr. Davidson directed me to tell the Gardener Baldry to give Hyland four cauliflowers, three cabbages, three carrots, some parsley and Thyme.

I told Hyland to go over to the garden and get that quantity of vegetables that I had named.  I saw no tea, sugar or tobacco delivered on Saturday last but I recollect about a month ago Hyland coming with another man to the garden bringing with them some tea, sugar and a bag of biscuits, both tea, sugar, Tobacco and Biscuits have frequently been brought up to Mr. Davidson by different men who have been employed at the Commissariat Store, generally when these things have been delivered in my hearing to send back some things, and on these occasions vegetables have been always returned and also apples some times.  I have been attached to the garden about 3 years, but have never worked in the garden but have been employed in Mr. Davidson’s house, I have been his house servant and cook, my rations I have drawn from the Government the same as other men and clothing also, upon the average I think Mr. Davidson has received from the Store tea, sugar, tobacco, biscuits, sometimes beef and pork about once in six weeks in the summer time oftener, I have never known the articles brought up by the store men to be consumed out of Mr. Davidson’s house. The biscuit was generally eaten by Mr. Davidson and his family for breakfast and supper – I know it was the King’s biscuit because it had the Broad Arrow on it, the beef and pork were always cooked and consumed by Mr. Davidson and his family as well as the tea and sugar, the servants in the house never partook of these articles they were always consumed by Mr. Davidson and his family.  I include the female servants as part of the family.

James Hyland being now present states I belong to the Commissariat Store where I have been since May last, on Saturday last I was sent by Mr.Petrie with a note to Mr. Davidson.  Mr. Petrie told me to go by myself and he told me to go with the note to Mr. Davidson and bring him back some vegetables to his house.  I took a sack with me and when I got to Mr.Davidson’s I gave the note to Daniel Turner, he went into the house with the note, shewed me where the Gardener was and directed me to go and get four cauliflowers, four cabbages, four or five turnips, some thyme, some parsley and three heads of celery.  I went to the Gardener and got these articles of vegetables. I have been sent twice to the garden by Mr. Petrie before and taken tea and sugar up and brought back vegetables.  I have also taken biscuit up about sixty pounds weight at a time.  I have taken biscuit twice when I have brought these articles up from the store I have generally delivered them to Mrs.Davidson, the quantity of tea I took generally was about six or eight pounds at a time, sugar about fourteen pounds, tobacco about four or five pounds, these articles were both times given to me by Mr. Petrie from the King’s Store, the above is the truth and I am willing to swear to it if called upon.  I cannot recollect the days upon which I took the things to Mr.Davidsons.

(Signed) James Hyland  x his mark
Sentence on Turner, to be kept to Imprisonment and hard labour for six months.  Bridgewater Chain Gang recommended,  Josiah Spodes.


2. Statement of Jane Howe – 4 September 1834
The Statement on Oath of Jane Howe the wife of George ?

I am assigned to Mr. Davidson – I was going into the Garden on Saturday last when Mr. Petrie’s man came up with a note for Mr. Davidson – I directed him to give it to Turner, the House servant. I saw Turner go into the parlor with it.  I do not known if he gave it to Mr. Davidson – my Master was lying on the Sofa, but the House servant came out of the  parlor and told him to go to the Gardener for some vegetables – I have not heard anything at all about the note having been torn by the children – there was no search whatever made, or ordered to be made by Mr. Davidson, about giving the few vegetables to Mr. Petrie, nor was the man ever denied, as far as I know, to tell a falsehood about it.

Signed Jane Howe x her mark                                                                                             
 
Before me this 4th

Day of September 1834


3. Statement of Mr. Petrie - 4 September 1834

I am Clerk in Charge of the Commissariat Store –
Whenever any extra provisions of any description have been served out from the Store to the Superintendent of the Government Garden, it has always been upon requisition regularly approved by the Colonial Secretary, detailing the quantity to be delivered and the requisitions have always stated they were to supply when collecting plants etc.  I have declined provisions out upon five requisitions during this present year –

February 24th - Flour 56 lbs
                          Salt pork 35 lbs
                          Tea 1 lb and three quarters
                          Sugar 8 lbs and three quarters
                          Soap 1 lb and three quarters
                          Tobacco ditto

March 27th      - Biscuit 56 lbs
                          Fresh meat ditto
                          Same quantity of others articles as above

May 7th           - Same quantity as on March 27th

June 24th and   - Ditto with 1and three quarter lbs salt
July 29th  

The above requisitions have always been included and passed with my general account.   I have occasionally sent to Mr. Davidson requesting a few vegetables, understanding that Mr. Davidson had more than was required at the Government Gardens.  I have never renumerated  Mr. Davidson in any shape for those vegetables – they were merely given me as a gift to the best of my recollection .  I never received vegetables more than twice – the third time I sent they were stopped. The provisions according to the requisitions were either weighed in my presence or Mr. Noel’s and no larger quantity sent than was stated in the requisition.  It is usual to send a memorandum of the quantity etc. also for the Superintendent to send a receipt back.

Signed Petrie.
 

September 4th 1834
I did send a note to Mr. Davidson on Saturday, unsealed – it was to ask for a few vegetables.  Mr. Davidson in the afternoon about six o’clock came to me to ask what the purpose of the note was, that he had not seen it, and stated that on enquiring he found his children had torn it all to pieces.

Before me this 4th

Day of September 1834

Josiah Spodes


4. Statement of William Davidson - 4 September 1834
I have never received provisions of any description from H.M.Stores, but upon proper requisitions authorized by the Colonial Secretary for the purpose of sending them into the bush to collect seeds and plants, and also frequently to accompany myself for the same purpose.  Whenever I have requisitions for extra provisions to supply men going in the bush, I have sent them out and frequently have accompanied them myself.  It has frequently happened that when I have requisitions for extra provisions for four men only, I have been obliged to send six, and at those times I have given them provisions from my own house.  I have never appropriated to my own use any part of the provisions so drawn from the King’s Store, excepting at times when I have advanced provisions for the men in consequence of occasional delays in getting them from the Store.  I have never received more from Mr. Petrie than what has been stated on the requisition.

There are fifteen men now at the Government Garden who I have been in the habit of sending out collecting and whom I have never sent out without giving the extra provisions as requisitioned for.  I have never received any renumeration in any shape from Mr. Petrie for the few vegetables I have once or twice sent him.

At the time the Governor spoke to me on Saturday I had not seen the note from Mr. Petrie.  It had been laid down on the sofa or the table, and as I afterwards found, torn to pieces by my children.  I was laying down on the sofa resting me when the man came from Mr. Burnett, upon which I ordered some vegetables to be given him.  I should never have denied to the Lieutenant Governor, that I did occasionally send a few vegetables to Mr. Petrie, if asked.

Signed Wm Davidson                                                                  
Before me this 4th Day of Sept. 1834 Josiah Spodes


5. The following colourful account, taken from the "Colonial Times" of 16 September 1834, is fairly close to the official version (if you believe what you read in the newspaper)!
"Colonel Arthur and his suite were taking an alternative ride in the Domain, about a fortnight since, when they met a man with a sack containing something.  His Excellency's curiosity - Paul Pry like - induced his to ask the man what it contained, and in answer to which the man replied "vegetables".  It soon appeared that the vegetables came from Colonel Arthur's Garden, for so the man gave His Excellency to inderstand.  His Excellency ordered the man forthwith to show the contents of the sack when, wonderful to relate, the luxuries it contained astonished all present.  The first dip into the bag brought out a turnip, the second dip a cabbage, and the third dip a carrot.  His Excellency's curiosity increased, and with all the dignity of a Governor he determined to investigate the cabbage affair immediately.  An orderly was sent to fetch the Superintendent.  He arrived arrived, and before him on the ground in marshal aray, as witness against him - four cabbages, four turnips, and four cauliflowers, around these were drawn up under arms His Excellency's suite in awful suspense waiting to see the effect these vegetable witnesses would have upon the poor astounded Superintendent.  The bag carrier was then called to give evidence.  He said that he had taken tea and sugar to the Superintendent from the commissariat store, and that he had in return brought these vegetables back with him for one of the clerks - the plot thickened, an apparent case of selling Governm,ent property appeared, although the broard arrow was not on the turnips - the case was adjourned.  On investigating the matter a few days afdterwards, it was discovered that the tea and sugar alluded to had been required for men proceeding into the interior to search for seeds, and that a requisition signed by the Colonial Secretary and approved of by the Commissary of accounts had been forwarded to the Commissariat.  It being evident then there was no possibility of a case being got up for a jury.  His Excellency commanded the Colonial Secretary to dismiss the Superintendent for disposing of the produce of Government Garden.  Colonial Arthur of course being the only person who could do so!!!  This Superintendent has been upwards of six years in his situation; the garden when he took the management of it was mere bush, and all that has been done there has been done under his management.  Whether he deserves such treatment on the part of His Excellency, the people must at present judge for themselves.  At the time the Superintendent forwarded these vegetables to the Commissariat clerk - besides supplying His Excellency's household and friends with vegetables, the horses at Government House were daily supplied with carrots, and His Excellency's own cattle and sheep had abundance of cauliflowers, cabbages, turnips etc of the very best description - and not only was there sufficiency for all, but quantities of vegetables were there lying rotting on the ground.  We pass over the presumptuous conduct of the Superintendent., in daring to give away to a Government officer below the favoured rank cabbages and carrots that might otherwise have rotted, although it seems very natural that vegetables if not wanted might be so given, and we come to a much more important feature. His Excellency must be aware of the ditress existing among the poorer classes of society, many of whom are on the border of startation, and yet we find the people paying immensely for supplying vegetables to men whose salaries already far exceed their worth - we find too the cattle of His Excellency glutted with wholesome vegetables, and we find also that man's food rotting on the ground, and yet there are poor people in Hobart Town whop would thankfully receive the refuse of HIs Excellency's private stockyard".

6. The Lieutenant Governor had also received a letter from Thomas Marshall, one of the convicts working at the Gardens, which made serious allegations about Davidson.
"Your Excellency,
I hope you will not be offended with me making myself so bold with writing to you but the reason is that I have no opportunity to speak to you, and another thing I do not wish anyone beside yourself to see it.  It is concerning Mr Davidson.  There is a great many things that is taken away from here belonging to the Government and I thought it was my duty to inform you of it.  For there is neither tools to work with or yet any seed to sow as is any good at all .......he has taken all the new spades and shovels and all the best seeds.  His house is in David Street opposite Mr Moore, he has a large stone house and he lets out a small brick house in the same allotment about 20 yards from the other.  Betwixt the 2 houses there is a small coach house that is let with the stone house, but he has leave to put some rough things in it. Perhaps there is some in that lot that is not right, but the Chief  of Government Property is in the Boxes and Draws in the House. They will be very curious to be found. You must have a regular search as you might not find them as he is cunning and careful I spose he thinks because they do have the broad arrow on them he will be alright. There is barrels of white lead glass and seeds of all descriptions and a box of native shrubs to go to England.  I spose new tin dishes as the men bought to have had 10 or 12 new baskets of all sizes, he has only left me one for the use of the place. Barrels of cidar, large quantities of tobacco, Government rags and other things as I cannot think on just now he ???? the place there is one thing I noticed as had the broad arrow that is a wooden pail or bucket without a bail to it.  I believe there was 6 or 7 dray loads of them and if the truth be known there is 5 out of them as is Government property, but he has got such connection with all people in Hobart Town that things is done in a different way. There is some very curious goings on, there is all of the smells had had dealings with him they could have any thing as they wanted if you went without.  Messrs Spode, Melville, Murray and all the head men so that it would not be of any use a prisioner like me saying anything of the sort I should get sent to Port Arthur very soon if any of them knew, as I said a word on that subject I should be in danger of my life, so I beg for my sake not to let them know who laid the information ........
If you wish to interfear in it I think it would be the best way for you to get 3 or 4 constables or as many as you may think proper at a moments notice as you pass the Police Office, then you could go straight up David Street. If you do go the sooner the better there should be a constable stationed outside for fear things might be put out of the window above while they are searching.  It will take some time to look in all the draws and boxes.
Your Excellency and Supreme Governor I have told you the particulars regarding the Gardens.......
Perhaps you might be passing by the Garden this evening I stop at the hut opposite the garden gate..... Without me seeing of you but me being what I am afraid to speak for fear that you should think as I am too bold that is the very reason I rote this letter when the other 2 men were asleep in the night so that there is no one soul knows anything about it.
I am your obedient and humble servant,
Signed Thos Marshall.

 
7. Affidavit of Thomas Marshall
per York 2nd - a Prisoner working at the Government Garden, Hobart Town.

I can read and write.  I was not in the Government Garden about four years ago.  I have been there two years come 4 January next. I remember Matthew Williams being at the Government Garden when I came.  I kept accounts of orders for Fruit and Vegetables required for Government House about 18 months.  I never had any conversation with Matthew Williams on the subject of Fruit or Vegetables being sent to other places than Government House; I never knew that any boat received any thing from the Garden except Prison ship boats.  I never saw Carrots packed in Casks for ships, does not recollect the names of any of the ships.  I remember a boat of the John coming, vegetables were sent to the “John” I believe these things were booked. I believe the John’s people landed two casks which they brought for the vegetables.  The casks remained at the Jetty.  It was in the morning.  I never saw any landed in the evening, never saw any fruit go in such boats.  Mr. Davidson has occasionally made presents to different persons in Hobart Town.  I have taken things myself to Mr.Spodes and to Mr.Burnetts.  I never had any reason to believe that things were sold from the Garden.  I once heard Matthew Williamson say that some things were going to an improper place but I never gave him any answer I never heard any other man say anything of the kind.  The notes of vegetables etc sent to Govt House were filed and booked too.  I remember some young trees being sent out of the Garden at different times don’t know where they went, never knew that any went to Mr. Davidson’s own House.  Remember some hives went one to Benlomand and one to the Judge in the Evening – the other in the morning. I used to read the notes of things to be sent to Government House to Williams because he could not read.  I remember “James Briarcliff” I never had any conversation with him about Mr. Davidson sending things improperly from the Garden.  I remember tools being drawn from the Lumber Yard but never heard that Mr.Davidson used to send anything away to his own house.

I remember the day Mr. Davidson received orders to leave the Gardens.  I remember “Baldry” saying that he had collected some things to go in a boat; this was the day before.

I remember taking a Pear and a Mulbery Tree to Mr. Spodes once.
I never thought that Mr. Davidson sent things away improperly.


8. Government Order on William Davidson  - 18 September 1834
The Lieutenant Governor directs that a Board consisting of:
     The Civil Engineer
     The Town Surveyor and
     The Superintendent of the Government Garden
Will assemble today for the purpose of examing the state of the Government Garden, taking the opinion of practical men on the subject, and reporting fully upon all the circumstances connected with it, and upon the application of Mr. Davidson herewith transmitted.

It is considered that Mr. Davidson has privately disposed of the seeds and plants from the garden to a much greater extent than those be bought from England and His Excellency is informed the Garden is now in a most discreditable state, very ill cropped and the proper succession far from having been attended to.

By His Excellency’s Command

(signed) John Montagu 
Colonial Secretary’s Office,

18 September 1834
 
Notes: There is more information I am inclined to think to be obtained in this matter – see the letter to Mr.Abbott in 1828 which called for Mr.Davidson's reply of 4th November 1828.

Letter to Edward Abbott esq. Civil Commandant from William Davidson
Launceston 4th November 1828


Sir,
In reference to your wishes for an explanation respecting the disposal of plants, I beg leave to state that I only meant to have the disposal of the seeds or plants that I bought with me from England, after Government have received such a part of them as may be necessary for its own use or for ornamenting the Government Garden in my charge.

I am Sir,
Your Obedt Servent,   
Signed Wm Davidson      
          
To Edwd Abbot Esq.
Civil Commandant.


9. Report on William Davidson – 19 September 1834:
Following William Davidson's dismissal as Superintendent of the Government Gardens in September 1834 Davidson wrote requesting to remove the plants he had brought from England from the gardens or to receive payment for them.

The Lieutenant Governor directed that a Board comprising the Civil Engineer, the Town Surveyor and the new Superintendent of the Gardens Martin Tobin should assemble for the purpose of examining the state of the Government Gardens, taking the opinion of practical men on the subject, and reporting fully on the circumstances connected with it, and upon the application of Mr Davidson herewith transmitted.

It is considered that Mr Davidson has privately disposed of the seeds and plants from the garden than those he brought from England and His Excellency is informed the Garden is now in a most disruptable state, very ill cropped and the proper succession far from having been attended to.

The report on William Davidson 19  September 1834:
We the undersigned having assembled in pursuance of the Government Order dated the 18inst
(a copy of which is hereto annexed) beg leave respectfully to report for the information of His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor.

1.  That the Garden appears to us to be in a fair state of cultivation, but, owing to the late rains, does not appear in so neat a condition as it would otherwise have been in, and, particularly, as there has been no gardener in charge for the last ten days.

2.  The Garden is under a proper succession of crops, but, there is a deficiency of seeds, such as Peas, French Beans, Carrots, Lettuce, Cauliflower, Cabbage, and Endive.

3.  At the time Mr. Davidson entered on his situation, it appears to the Board he was allowed to introduce into the Government Garden a large quantity of Vines, trees, and plants of different descriptions, and that he has subsequently been directed by official authority to send to different places numbers of the above.

4.  The Vines and plants for which Mr. Davidson claims the sum of two hundred pounds were brought into the Colony by him as so much capital, and if this understanding was consitent at the period Mr. Davidson entered on the duties of the situation, he ought to be renumerated accordingly.

5.  As it further appears to the Board, that Mr. Davidson has subsequently to his appointment, put into the garden a number of Bulbs and plants, it appears but unreasonable that he should be allowed at the proper seasons to take from the originals such cuttings, etc., as may  be necessary to extend their kinds in the Colony.

6.  Mr. Davidson distinctly denies that he ever disposed of any seeds or plants for his own private benefit nor is there any proof before the Board that he has done so.

Signed:  John Wm. Archer- Civil Engineer
              Ally Murray Town - Clerk
              Martin Tokin - Superintendent of Colonial Garden.

Hobart Town
19th September 1834



10. Colonial Secretary’s Office,
23 October 1834
Gentlemen,  With reference to your former Report upon the alleged claim of Mr. W. Davidson to take plants from the Government Gardens, I am directed by the Lieutenant Governor to request that you will again investigate the subject and communicate the result to me for His Excellency’s information.

In respect to the 4th and 6th paragraph of your Report, I am to observe that some more positive proof than Mr. Davidson’s assertion is necessary before his request can be entertained.

It is to be observed that before settling in this Colony Mr.Davidson proceeded to New South Wales and came from there to Van Diemen’s Land by way of George Town and setting aside the doubt that he deposited any plants of his own at the Government Garden, it is a question whether he conveyed Two hundred pounds worth to Hobart Town.

I am to transmit for your information the enclosed letter from Mr. Davidson and a Copy of my answer, to which no reply has been received.

The present Superintendent of the Gardens has represented that many persons have claimed Plants and they had sent there which Mr. Davidson asserted were his – other Plants which have in a similar manner been deposited there, it appears have been sent for the advantage of the Establishment instead of the benefit of Mr. Davidson, and the accompanying three letters are transmitted for your perusal and report.

I am, in conclusion to remark that it is evidently necessary that unquestionable proof should be adduced as to what Mr. Davidson applies for and on what right he rests his claim, before it can be considered by the Government.

Thanks
John Montagu
Colonial Secretary.



11. Matthew Williams (ex “Georgiana”), Prisoner at Port Arthur made a Statement 10 December 1834 before the Commandant Charles O’Hara Booth:
For about four years I was employed in the Government Garden at Hobart Town as an overseer.  Mr Davidson was Superintendent.  I had the management of the hothouses and other parts of the Garden such as setting the men to work and the management of the Garden generally.  I cannot either read or write.  A man named Marshall kept the account of such articles as were ordered to be sent away by Mr Charles Arthur at Government House.  I have frequently remarked to Marshall that the fruit and vegetables were sent away without Governor’s orders.  Though I cannot read I know that several orders have been read to me by Mr Davidson which did not come from Government House.  It was the general custom whenever ships arrived for an order to be sent to Government Garden from Government House for vegetables to be sent on board.  They used to be sent on board in a basket holding about a bushel.  Perhaps the basket used to be sent two mornings together, but just before they used to sail.  I know that vegetables, fruits and herbs of all kinds were sent away by Mr Davidson’s own order – they were taken away in boats in very considerable quantities – I know that vessels used to send their launches up the River for the purpose of taking off carrots packed in casks.  There was a great quantity of vegetables sent on board the “Volusia Bay” (this was the first vessel I recollect anything going to) and the “John”, the “Strathfieldsay”, also the ship “England” and many others.  The articles which were sent away in this manner were never booked.  I have frequently seen casks loaded at the Garden Jetty and rolled up to Mr Davidson’s in the evening.  The casks generally had ship’s numbers on them.  Sometimes the same boats which brought these casks would take away a quantity of vegetables and fruits.  What led me to believe that something was carrying on which was not right was that the articles used to be invariably sent on board ships in the evenings only.  I know that several of the inhabitants of Hobart Town have had fruit and vegetables frequently.  Mr Burnett, Mr Spode, Mr Harper, Mr Fraser Shoemaker, Mr Bowden, Mr Dickinson, Mr Fraser the Tailor and several other names I cannot now recollect.  Many times I have been employed in packing all day to supply private individuals.  I was certain things were going away wrong from the Garden.  From the manner in which the notes were received from Government House they were entered in the books as an order from Government House and the notes afterward regularly filed, but if the orders were from Mr Davidson they were neither filed nor booked.

I know that Mr Davidson was in the habit of sending a number of young trees to several individuals in the country as well as stocking his own private Garden in Davey Street with choice trees.

I know that several hives of bees have been sent away, some by orders from Government House, others to private individuals.  Whenever a Government note was sent, they (the hives) used to be sent away in the day time but if they were for a private person they were sent away in the evening.

The man Marshall used to read the notes over to me and who I believe is now at the Garden is aware that I have often spoken to him about the vegetables going away.  Many other men who are employed at the Garden have frequently made it a common talk between themselves but were afraid if they reported the same that they would get punished, as was the case in one particular instance where a prisoner, whose name I don’t know and who was lame and who spoke about something which he observed was often put on the Tread Mill and at last was sent to Sorell Creek Road Party and is there now.  This man could give much information on the subject of the Garden as well as Mr Davidson drawing some things from the Lumber Yard for the use of the Government Garden and sending the same down to his own house in Davey Street as stated to me by the individual now at the Road Party in the hut at the Garden.

A margin note to this statement identified the unknown prisoner as James Radcliffe.


12. Statement of John Kent - December 26th 1834
Thereby certify that in January 1829 I was employed at the Government Domain Garden and remained upwards of four years I perfectly recollect some Cases of Plants, said to be brought by Mr. Davidson they principally consisted of Vines Plants and flower pots and in the June following I assisted in planting out the Vines Plants there were a great many of them I cannot say at this time how many they were all of them looking well and I saw them the following Season all growing and looking well I know that these were several different sorts of Vines amongst the number I have been frequently sent by Mr. Davidson to take up vine plants to send to different places in 1829 and 1831 there was not more than 12 twelve Vine Plants in the Garden before these brought by Mr. Davidson and the vines were all of the common white kind that were in the Garden at the time I came I became free in October 26th 1833.


13.  About William Davidson - his land grant, wealth & family. 


In August 1831 William Davidson applied for a house allotment in Upper Davey Street, adjoining Elboden Street.  He entered into a standard agreement with the Town Surveyor in which stated :
That within six months …….I will enclose the same with a good paling fence.
That I will commence the erection of a brick or stone house with a frontage of at least forty five feet during the same period…….
That I will complete this building as far as regards the outward appearance within two years…….
That I will within that period expend at least in the erection of buildings one thousand pounds.
Two houses, one of stone and one of brick were built by Davidson during the following two years.  Both of these houses still exist together with two other houses built later when the allotment was further subdivided.

Davidson’s increased wealth was also apparent in an application he made in November 1831 for a grant of land.  In this he referred to an earlier application to which he had received no reply.  This was the one he had made from Launceston in September 1828 in which he claimed to have cash amounting of 520 sterling of which 300 Sterling was in cash.  In this later application he claimed to have cash amounting to 751 sterling and 500 ewes valued at 375 Sterling – a total of 1076 sterling.  He further stated that if a grant was made he would “immediately place a free overseer upon it and improve it”.  In forwarding the application to the Land Board Governor Arthur noted that “I am afraid that I have not used Mr Davidson quite well.  The capital he brought seems to have entitled him to land”.  No doubt he was referring to the fact that no action had been taken on Davidson’s original application.  A grant of 1280 acres (it was standard practice to grant 640 acres for each 500 Sterling held by the applicant) was made to him by the Land Board on 10th December 1831.  The land was located in the Eldon and Chatsworth parishes in the county of Somerset in the region of Lake Sorell.

How Davidson doubled his wealth in little more than three years must be a matter of conjecture.  On appointment to the Gardens his salary was 100 Sterling with a house and rations provided.  He was also granted the privilege of cultivating and disposing of shrubs and plants which he brought from England for his own benefit.  Shortly before his marriage on 1st September 1829 he wrote to the Colonial Secretary requesting that he be granted additional salary of 50 Sterling “in lieu of Rations and Privileges”.  In forwarding the request to the Governor, the Colonial Secretary begged leave “to recommend his request to the favourable consideration of Your Excellency from the high opinion which I entertain of Mr Davidson’s practical knowledge as a Gardener which cannot fail as being beneficial in a new Colony”.

Colonial Arthur refused to accept the recommendation saying “it is impossible I can propose, with any likely success to the Secretary of State any augmentation of salary to Mr Davidson”. He would have been well aware that the salary and benefits being paid were already well in excess of comparable positions (previous to Davidson’s appointment the Garden had been under the care of an overseer, George Moore, who received 30 Sterling per annum with no other benefits).  However Arthur evidently shared the Colonial Secretary’s high opinion of Davidson and, in a masterly compromise, observed that “on my ride through the Domain this evening I was quite shocked to see the number of idle convicts about the grounds.  If therefore it would not interfere with Mr Davidson’s duties and if he could undertake the general charge of the Domain, keeping it clear from all idle persons who have not authority to be there, I should have no objection to his being appointed a District Constable allowing him a salary of 50 Sterling per annum with the understanding that he is to have no further claim for rations nor to be allowed the privilege of disposing of any seeds etc”.
With this increased salary and house provided Davidson was earning more than John Lee Archer, the Colonial Architect and Engineer, to whom he was responsible.  Added to this would have been the proceeds from the sale of trees, plants etc., both during his time in Launceston and his early days at the Gardens in Hobart.  With little beyond strong drink to spend his money on it is perhaps little wonder that his financial position had improved substantially and there is also the possibility that further funds came from his wife.

On 1st September 1829 William Davidson married Elizabeth Naisbett, aged 18, at St David’s Church in Hobart.  The wedding was witnessed by Richard and Hannah Pybus who had been fellow passengers with Elizabeth on board the “Triton” which had arrived in Hobart from Leith at the beginning of June.  All three had been listed as cabin passengers for New South Wales but had disembarked in Hobart.  Although there is no proof it appears likely that William and Elizabeth had become engaged before Davidson left England.  Their first child, Elizabeth Rachel was born 2 August 1830, followed by three sons William Edward born 10 October 1832, Richard born 26 July 1834 and Thomas Rowland born 9 May 1836.

Bringing up a young family in the Superintendent’s Cottage at the Gardens could not have been a happy experience.  The Cottage, as it was originally built was in two separate wings separated by a small courtyard.  Davidson and his family lived in one wing whilst the convicts assigned to the Gardens were housed under very cramped conditions, in the other.  Not ideal neighbours!

Soon after Davidson’s appointment in 1828, the Colonial Secretary directed the Prison Superintendent that “the six convicts employed at the Government Gardens in the Domain are in future to be victualled and sleep there in charge of the Superintendent, Mr Davidson, who is to be responsible for their safe custody.  A man of the name of Patrick Miller, at present employed in the Public Works at New Norfolk is to be brought down and assigned to the Garden in the Domain under Mr Davidson’s charge and a man who is a good Spadesman is to be sent to New Norfolk in the place of Miller.  A steady man of good character is to be placed in the Government Garden in Macquarie Street to stand duty every night to protect the fruit until it all be gathered”.

In providing labour for the Gardens the Colonial Secretary had directed the Barrack Master that “on the arrival of the first Male Convict Ship six steady men of good character who are acquainted with the gardens or who are at least good Spadesmen are to be selected and assigned to the Government Garden in the Domain under the supervision of Mr Davidson who will upon the men being sent to him return six of least useful of those he at present has who may be then assigned to settlers”.

In September 1825 John Lakeland, Principal Superintendent of Convicts wrote to the Lieutenant Governor that “in accordance with your instruction I have placed a steady man in charge of the Government Garden in Macquarie Street.  He is married man and says he understands Gardens and if your Honor will allow me I will place two men under him to do some work what requires to be done and the other men are gone to the Paddock Garden and I have given him four extra men to assist in digging the ground so that there is no excuse in not getting the Garden in good order”.

On 15th July 1828 George Moore wrote to the Engineer saying “he was appointed Overseer of the Government Garden at New Norfolk on 9th May 1826. And was shortly after removed to the Garden in the Domain and had continued as overseer ever since.  He complained that during that period he had received only two years salary at 30 Sterling a year, leaving a balance of more than 4 Sterling due up to the 30th June.  He begged leave therefore humbly to submit that you will intercede with His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor to order these arrears be paid to me”.

Do you think William Davidson should have been dismissed?  It seems even then decisions were made with a Political bias!  Not wanting to be biased myself - I believe he was "not guilty" of any wrong doing.
 

If you have any corrections or comments please contact the author via email. If there are any Davidson descendants out there I would appreciate you contacting the author, Joy Olney via email: joyolney@gmail.com


You might like to view my other blogs - https://sites.google.com/site/joysblogs123/